Phosphatidylserine (PS) is a phospholipid, a special type of chemical that is naturally present in each human cell. It contains both amino acids and fatty acids that are really important for the body as a whole. The human body naturally creates phosphatidylserine in small quantities, but gets of it from different fruits and vegetables. Phosphatidylserine combines with the two-important omega-3 fatty acids, called EPA and DHA to provide necessary support to the cells. In each cell in the human body, phospholipids are generally found surrounding the cell providing necessary cellular structure and protection to the cells. There was a time when phosphatidylserine supplement was made with cow brain. Now, it is manufactured from natural products like soy and cabbage. According to researchers supplements of Phosphatidylserine is used in wide many neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s disease, and ADHD, etc.
General constituents of Phosphatidylserine
Phosphatidylserine is formulated from four major components: fatty acids, a platform to which the fatty acids are attached, a phosphate and alcohol molecule. The alcohol molecule is directly attached to the phosphate.
General functions of Phosphatidylserine
Phosphatidylserine is very essential in maintaining several cellular functions and most of its functions are meant for the central nervous system, including the brain. Several researches have shown that this chemical is important in the following aspects:
- Formation of bone matrix
- Secretion of hormone by the adrenaline gland
- Coordination of heartbeat, particularly when the body or brain in active state
- Cell repair and replacement
- Testicular function
Some common benefits of Phosphatidylserine
Following are the most common benefits of phosphatidylserine:
- Alzheimer’s is critical form of dementia in which weakens a person’s memory, lessens his or her normal physical abilities, and makes his or her life really measurable. Taking Phosphatidylserine on regular basis can improve many symptoms of the diseases.
- The supplement is also very effective in controlling age limited mental disorders. It greatly enhances attention, improves learning ability, and enhances memory.
- Phosphatidylserine also helps to combat against depression. I depression, blood flow in several parts of the brain declines remarkably.
- Phosphatidylserine remarkably improves the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. People, who have difficulty in speaking shows some improvement after a regular use of Phosphatidylserine for certain period. It is found that people having Parkinson’s disease possess lower levels of Phosphatidylserine, which can be increased on using this supplements.
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is neurological problem mainly in childhood. In this disease, the patient can’t focus on cetin activities, and always remain in a state of restlessness. Phosphatidylserine has been found to improve the symptoms of this disease.
- Phosphatidylserine also increases flexibility and strength of muscles. On regular use, sport persons can prevent frequent wear and tear of the muscles. Even, it can quickly replenish muscular damages.
Sources of Phosphatidylserine
Phosphatidylserine has many sources, like soy lecithin, chicken heart, chicken leg, tuna, mullet, unpolished rice, etc. These days multiple of supplements are available in the market. According to researchers, regular intake of Phosphatidylserine is necessary to stay healthy and energetic.